and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Shopping for Prom Dresses



       Anyone who knows me knows I am not a shopping for clothes type of girl.  In fact, I’d rather be up to my arms in grease fixing something than clothes shopping, but it is the season for prom dress shopping for graduating teenagers this year, and that means my daughter.  So I put on my big girl pants, begged my sister to join us, and off we went to stores we knew would have better selections.  It was in the very first store we went to that we found ‘the dress’.  How do you know it’s ‘the dress’?  Because everything up to it is quickly forgotten when you see her in it, and nothing found after is good enough.

       She stood there, so beautiful, so elegant and looking grown up, that tears flooded my eyes and I had to leave the room to get back in control.  My little girl is all grown up!  The richness of the dress led me to imagine a date (hopefully several years from now) when Amy will be wearing that special wedding dress and Albert and I will have to share her with her husband to be.  He will watch as she walks toward him with love in his eyes and excitement in his face because he has been waiting for her and he knows they will be together forever.
as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it, that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, that He might present it to Himself as the glorious church, without spot or wrinkle or any such things, but that it should be holy and without blemish.  Eph. 5:25-27 (also 2Cor. 11:2)
Let us be glad and rejoice and we will give glory to Him. For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has prepared herself. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white. For the fine linen is the righteousness of the saints.  Rev. 19:7,8

       One day soon, Jesus will return for His bride, a bride washed by His blood, cleansed by His act of selflessness and love, for she is the one He has been waiting for since the beginning of time that He might be with her forever.  She is all the believers from the beginning, both Jewish and Gentile, who will live in the New Jerusalem, the place He is preparing for her (Rev. 21:9,10; Jh. 14:2,3). 

       On that day, I imagine He will have open arms to receive us and the love in His eyes will captivate us as we ‘walk’ towards Him.  The peace and joy in our hearts will burst forth as we move to His waiting arms, and we will rejoice to be with Him forever and delight in His presence.  It will be the final triumph of our Savior, and it will be a glorious day for all of us, unsurpassed by any other. 

       Now we just need to make ourselves ready…
                                 (see Rev. 7 above)