and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Where Do You Live?

       “What’s your name?” and “Where do you live?” were the two essentials of information we sought early when introduced to new kids.  After all, if they were to become friends, you needed to know what to call them and if they lived close enough to visit on your own since you were too young to drive.  Thirty years later, things have changed.  I’m not sure what the new questions are, but it almost seems like any questions are considered intrusive.  In fact, one time when my daughter wanted to know where a certain boy lived, I simply pulled out the telephone book to look it up and she told me to stop, that what I was doing was ‘stalking’ and apparently NOT okay.

       Several times when I asked the kids about their friends, even long term ones, and they don’t know the answer, they say, “We don’t talk about that kind of stuff.”  Well, just what do they talk about because the questions I would ask would be things to help me know my friends better?  When I bug them about it they just say it’s ‘stalker like’.  Still, it’s pretty important to know where people live or else how can you visit them?  You can’t build a relationship with people you can’t spend time with; it doesn’t work that way.  So God

Where do You live?

       Most Christians can answer my question using two scriptures:  But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets…” (Dan. 2:28 NKJV) and “Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?(1Cor. 3:16 NKJV).  So, God is in Heaven but He also lives in each of us.  We also know there is nowhere we can go to get away from His spirit/ presence (Ps. 139:7-10).  This knowledge does not completely answer that question though for the Scripture is clear that “the heaven, and heaven of heavens cannot contain” our Mighty God (1Kn. 8:27).  The rest of it is found here:

For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.  Is. 57:15 NKJV
 
       Our Holy God dwells in eternity (without beginning or end, so how can man truly understand? Ec. 11:5), but He doesn’t dwell there alone.  Those with contrite and humble spirits dwell there with Him.  Why?  So that God can revive (nourish, preserve, quicken, recover, repair, restore to life, make whole) their spirits and their hearts.  Wow!  The God who created the entire universe made us a place with Him like that for us?  It sure makes me want to be one of those with a contrite and humble spirit.  Lemme think:

…a contrite and humble spirit…

…a contrite and humble spirit…

…hmmm…