and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, September 09, 2012

Intermittent Switch

       We have a new problem in our newer used van we bought a few months ago.  It is the first time we have power windows, and it is great to be able to open and close them from the driver’s seat, especially since the air conditioning stopped working. L  (Open windows are essential with no air!)  The problem is one day last month the driver-side switch didn’t work the passenger window.  It resolved itself, but just last week the switch stopped working for the driver’s window.  Needless to say, in the heat the lack of air flow becomes oppressive.

       Then, just two days ago, the driver-side switch for the passenger window stopped working again, and for a moment, I panicked wondering how I would be able to breathe with the hot outside air and two front windows that don’t open.  Then the Lord helped me remember that I could stop and open it from the switch on the other side, and it worked.  Now as a result I’ve got to replace the switch, because a switch that only works now and then isn’t useful in meeting my needs.

       So it was that yesterday, after looking into the problem, I had to go out and the switch worked again for the opposite window.  It got me thinking about how we are like switches in our relationship with God.  One day hot, the next day cold; one day so in love with Him because all is going well or we just ‘feel’ close, another day ignoring Him and ‘feeling’ like He’s not even around.  Praying and spending time with Him for a few days, then not even saying grace over meals- or not really meaning it if we do!  Our relationship with the Lord is often intermittent: sporadic, discontinuous, irregular, and we pay for that with a lack of peace and joy during our days.

       With how much consideration we give to our Lord, how much of our continual communication, studying, worshipping, I often wonder why He puts up with me, or why He hasn’t walked away.  And yet, He remains waiting for me to return once again and we start over.  The problem is we can never get very far if we are always starting over, because trust must be rebuilt.  Irregular time with Him prevents us from greater spiritual growth.  It comes down to our decision: either we consider Him important enough to consistently spend time with and on Him, or we rarely- if ever- live the abundant life (Jh. 10:10) He desires for us.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.  Ps. 1:2
I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.  Ps. 77:12
My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.  Ps. 5:3
One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.  Ps. 27:4
Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  Ps. 100:2-4