and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, August 27, 2012

I Hate Pumpkin Pie- Part 1

       It was Easter of 1988 and I was meeting my in-laws for the first time.  The situation we were in was unusual.  Albert and I had been dating before they left for the winter (to southern U.S.) but they hadn’t known about that because he’d been too busy to visit them to give them the news.  We had gotten engaged and set the date for the late summer, but when they got back from the south a week before, they had just found out about me.  In one startling evening they found out their 37 year old son had been dating, gotten engaged and was set to be married in a few months.  Imagine their shock.

       Though I had met all of Albert’s immediate family except his parents, this would be our first meeting, and I was very nervous.  They were especially friendly, but I was the new girl and still felt uncomfortable.  Dessert time came, and his Mom offered me a piece of pumpkin pie (and I hate pumpkin L ) but I didn’t want to offend her so I took a piece and then she asked if I wanted whip cream.  Of course I did!  What else would take that awful taste away?  Would I like more?  Yes please, a LOT more.  My piece was sufficiently smothered in whip cream that I managed to swallow the whole thing down.  All in all, the evening was a success.

       It wasn’t until our next get together that Albert told his Mom I hate pumpkin pie.  With her great memory she asked why I’d eaten a piece at our last gathering and I had to fess up.  We had a good laugh about it especially when she realized why I’d asked for so much whip cream.  Twenty four years later, we still joke about the pie I ‘manfully’ forced down, or the tons of whip cream on top.  And Mom still recalls how the first night they found out about us, her and Dad went to bed asking each other if they had heard right!  (The next day they verified it with the family!!!)


To figure out where this story is going, you’ll have to ‘tune in’ tomorrow for the continuation



Since I can’t leave you with any scripture at all: 
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth:
make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise. Ps. 98:4