and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, April 09, 2012

His First Letter

       I can’t remember how old he was, but I remember the look on my son’s face when he received his very first letter mailed to our house in his name.  His eyes were big green orbs exploding with light and his smile reached from ear to ear as he grasped for the letter in my hand.  He was extremely excited and almost completely destroyed the card in his enthusiasm to open it.  Today, he still has his very first piece of mail, a birthday card from Grandma.

       When I was in the store the other day buying a birthday card for my Mom, I was speaking to a lady about how I’d almost forgotten to pick one up.  She was telling me how her Mom insisted her card be sent by mail even though they live in the same neighbourhood- and get there in time for her birthday… never late!  Some people might consider that fussy or spoiled (like me at first) but in reality I guess it is more special that way, and what’s wrong with making another person feel special- like my son with his birthday card.

       Making someone feel special doesn’t have to cost a lot, in fact, it may not cost any money at all!  A few ideas to make someone feel special: A note of encouragement perhaps even sent by mail, a photo they might enjoy, a few minutes of conversation when they look all alone, a hug just because, an offer to go for coffee, a balloon tied to their car, a silly song left on their answering machine, a phone call to see how they are doing.  There are many things we can do to let someone know they are important to this life. 

       Life is tough; almost all of us have been through difficult trials, so imagine how some encouragement, love or support could make all the difference in how, or if, a person makes it through.  There are times I chide myself for not encouraging more people.  There are a sea of faces that walk by me everyday, and so few I am able to encourage, make them feel special and valuable even though they are.  But, I’m going to try harder.

       Jesus always treated the common man with love, compassion and respect.  He never looked down on them for their flaws, didn’t bash them for their sins, He didn’t walk to the other side of the road to avoid them, or run from providing for them.  He didn’t talk about them behind their backs or laugh at them privately with His friends.  Whether they were considered important in society or of no importance at all, Jesus treated them with love and open arms.  He made the feel special and valuable.

       This is one area where we can easily follow in Jesus’ footsteps.  It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money or time, (although it can if we want it to) still, we can bring a smile to someone’s day, and maybe even shine some light in their dark places.  Many of us say we want to be like Jesus.  Well, this is an easy way we can show it!