and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lesson on Faith

       Almost every Sunday I ride my bicycle in to church so that we don’t have to drive the van there twice wasting gas and putting wear and tear on it just so I can work in the library.  There is a new road complete with a bike path that passes very close to the church now.  It’s about a 35 min. ride and there are two sets of sensored lights to go through, which means I usually have to press the switch to activate the green light and then wait.

       Today, as I was getting to the first set of lights I heard the Lord say (to the best of my memory), “Go faster and you’ll make the light.”  Yah, right, I thought because I’ve done this route enough that I knew with a car already waiting, there was no way I’d make the green in time even going faster.  Ah, what a lack of faith I thought and decided I would just speed up.  The light turned green, then red again, but what amazed me is another car appeared quickly making it turn green again, and because I had sped up, I made it through.

That’s when I realized I have two basic problems with my faith:

One- I continue to look at myself and not God.  Of course I cannot speed up enough, I also can’t heal someone, make money appear out of nowhere, alter nature, raise the dead, etc, but there is a God who is more than able (Eph. ) to do all those things.  I can choose to be obedient and to exercise what ‘little’ faith* I do have.

Two- I continue to look in the natural at things that seem impossible though this is contrary to scripture (2Cor. 5:7**).  Just because I don’t know how a thing can or will ‘work out’ doesn’t mean it can’t.  Obviously, I didn’t know it would be the second green light I’d get through, but God knew, and I just need to learn to trust Him completely

In short-
It’s not our ‘great’ faith that will cause ‘great’ miracles to happen,
     rather, it is our great God who can do great miracles in all our lives!



*And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you. Luke 17:6 
**(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)