and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Island of Misfit Toys

       When I was a little girl, I used to love watching all the animated Christmas shows for kids, but there was one show I hated because it made me so sad.  ‘Rudolf & The Island of Misfit Toys’ made me sad since the toys there were different and because of that they thought no one wanted them.  The reality is that almost everyone feels like a misfit at one time or another.

       Last night I was able to get together with some of the most wonderful ‘misfits’ I’ve ever met.  They meet in a small, white church in the city, and on Wednesdays when I go, there are about 20 people who attend. (Yes, I finally found a mid-week service.*) Anyway, it was the pastor who lovingly referred to himself and the others as misfits, and it didn’t bother me at all because I ‘mis-fit’ right in there.

       All are encouraged to participate fully.  Be part of the worship team even if you do not have high quality skills in that area as long as you are willing to sing for the Lord.  (You just know the Lord is being blessed by their efforts.)  Testify.  Pray before service.  Take the offering.  Read a scripture.  Also, people are encouraged to speak from the pulpit, whether they are a new or older Christians, and so far, all I’ve heard have done a solid job.  The Spirit is welcomed there with open arms, and that means a lot to me.

which is the head, even Christ: from whom the whole body fitly joined together (my definition-like puzzle pieces) and compacted (drive or knit together, unite) by that which every joint supplieth, Eph. 4:15,16 
Let love be without dissimulation (in other words be sincere, genuine). Rom. 12:9
Wherefore comfort (exhorting, or giving advice; exhortation; advice intended to encourage) yourselves together, and edify (build up, give boldness or courage) one another, even as also ye do. 1Th.  

       So, even if they think themselves misfits, they are certainly not, for they fit together perfectly piece into piece.  And their genuine love, care and acceptance of each other becomes a vibrant masterpiece of beauty unto the Lord.  Oh, it is so good to be these notable brothers and sisters, to worship the Lord together and to bring Him honour and glory for all He has done.  Thank You Lord for bringing me to this place that bears (an invisible) sign on the door reading:

All ‘misfits’ are welcome here.



*See Dec. 9 post: Mid-week Service