and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, July 03, 2011

In Love

      He walked into the church, short black hair, blue eyes, with a gentle face and I had to ask the lady next to me who the cute guy was.  To my surprise it was a man who had attended the church longer than I, but whom I hadn’t noticed due to the long hair and bushy beard he usually sported.  It didn’t take many days hanging out with our mutual friend to find out we had a lot in common and soon I was falling ‘in love’.

      I have many great memories of that time:  walking together outside at night while big white snowflakes gently wafted down, being with friends but moving myself closer just to be near him, the hours of conversation and getting to know him, sharing what we thought about life, family, and the Lord, and many more incredible times.  We became the best of friends and I knew that he cared for me despite all my multitude of flaws.  He actually liked me the way I was!!!

      Then one day in August of 1988 he slipped a ring on my finger, and a new life for us began.  Twenty three years later I am still amazed how he’s the only man I want to be with and I love him more today than I did the day we were married.  Who knew that was even possible?  Yes, we have struggles, but we are so worth it.  I hope to be walking by his side until the Lord returns.

      It’s funny how we expect these feelings and experiences to be there when we fall ‘in love’, but what about when we give ourselves wholeheartedly to the Lord and accept His salvation.  Isn’t that like being ‘in love’?  Just because we can’t see Him with us, it doesn’t mean we can’t have the same experiences. 

      For instance, we learn more and more about Him by spending time in His presence and reading His Word.  If we draw near to Him, He draws near to us. (James 4:8)  There is gladness in His presence. (1 Chr. 16:27)  He wants to know us and for us to know Him better. (Jer. 24:7)  He wants to be our friend just like with Abraham. (James 2:23)  And better than just loving us despite our flaws, He actually did something selfless to help us; He suffered the punishment for our sins. (Is. 53:1-5)

      I can’t imagine a love greater than that.  So…  shouldn’t we be finding ways to move ourselves closer to Him?  Shouldn’t we be enjoying time with each other sharing what we both think of life, family, and Him? (Yes, that means we have to listen to Him too)  We should want to spend a lot of time with Him and think about Him often, just like we did when we fell ‘in love’.  For a certainty, we should love Him more each day than the day we first knew Him.  And, if we struggle, He does not abandon us, but He is with us to walk through all our trials side by side. (Ps. 46:7; Ps. 27:9)

      Jehovah God is worthy of our love.