and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Story Worth Singing About

       It was Sunday morning and I awoke in the hotel room with my young daughter beside me and my Mom already awake.  As usual, I was interested in finding a nearby church to go worship in, but Amy and my Mom were not so interested.  It wasn’t very far from the motel that I found a church whose services were about to begin.  I walked up to the smallish building and noticed the beautiful little girl in a blue dress with two high braided ponytails sitting on the porch entry.  She smiled at me and I said hello.  It wasn’t until I was well inside the doors of the church that I realized I was the only white person in the room.

       That fact did not bother me at all, but I did have some concern that others may have a problem with me being there.  Happily, I was welcomed by several people and the service began.  After a song or two, an amazing thing happened, the likes of which I have never seen again.  One parishioner spontaneously stood up and began singing about their life and what Jesus had done and then sat down.  Immediately another person sang another matching verse about their life and the Lord, and the song continued through several people, all glorifying to God.  These blessed people had a story worth singing about!

       Now, I don’t remember specific words they said, only that they were grateful for what the Lord had done in their lives; and they were willing to sing about it.  I truly enjoyed their ‘miniature’ testimonies in song all while marveling at their boldness in singing it out.  While I’ve given my personal testimony several times one on one and to larger groups, singing it out wouldn’t even cross my mind.  (You can be thankful for that!  J)  These wonderful people had found something- rather Someone worth singing about, and they wanted to encourage others by sharing how He had affected their lives.

       Ah, to have such boldness!  I wish that every one of us would have that same boldness, that even if we speak it out rather than sing it, we would be willing to loudly proclaim what the Lord Jesus has done for us and in our lives.  Perhaps if those in the world heard our personal experiences with the Savior they would be more interested in further knowledge of Him.  Maybe if we shared regularly with other Christians, they would be encouraged to press forward in this journey.  Maybe we just need to open our mouths and allow God to fill it*.


We all have a story worth singing about**. 

Let us not hold it in but give voice to it in honour of the One who has saved us and set us free.



*Ps. 81:10- I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
**Gal. 5:1- … Christ hath made us free,…
2 Tim. 1:9- Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling,…