and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, May 09, 2011

Of These Things I Am Certain

       Some people long to go back to their childhood or teenage years, but not me.  While I wouldn’t mind my body being young, energetic and healthy again, I definitely don’t ever want to be in the same head space I was in back then.   My teenage years were filled with self doubt, confusion, uncertainty about who I was, my purpose, where I belonged, and doubt as to whether or not anyone loved me.

       All that changed for me the year I turned sixteen.  Determined to find genuine love, I got involved in the Catholic Charismatic movement, and for the first time in my life (despite weekly church services since birth) I heard the real gospel message- that Jesus Christ loved me, died on the cross for my sins, that He wanted me to believe, repent and give my life to Him.  It was incredible to find out the God of all creation wanted a relationship with me!

       Twenty eight years later and there are some things of which I am certain.  I know them beyond knowing.  They are so entrenched in my being, that there is no lingering doubt.  Hence the reason I would never wish to return to my youth…

     -God is real.

     -Only God could create this universe in all its complexities.

     -God the Father, Jesus, and the Spirit love me.

     -Jesus will return one day and I will be with forever with my Lord

       Because of these truths I am no longer filled with self doubt, confusion, and uncertainty about who I am; I understand my purpose on this earth, I know where I belong, and I know I am loved.  What proof of these truths do I offer?  I offer myself as evidence.  The very fact that I now live, breathe and move is proof, for I would not be alive today if it weren’t for Him.