and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, April 01, 2011

The Kindness of Strangers



What a great smile!

       A smile can lighten a person’s entire day, an encouraging word can give someone the strength to go on, a hug can remind them they are loved, and a service done might bring someone relief.  We never know for sure what a simple kindness can do for another person, but we know what it meant to us on the receiving end.

       Two cleaning ladies at Henry Ford Hospital were blessings to me the night my husband was rushed in.  One of them, upon finding out I was desperate for a complete Bible, searched for one all over and brought it up.  Later, her co-worker gave me her cell phone to use and when the call couldn’t go through, she sent a text message for me.  They didn’t have to go out of their way to be kind to me, but it made a difficult night more bearable, and I will always be grateful.

       So, perhaps I may never do a ‘great’ humanitarian work in my life, but I can make a difference every day in the life of all those around me whether known or passing strangers.  And isn’t that what Jesus did.  One day at a time, one person or group at a time, He touched the lives of those around Him and the world has never been the same again.

       We can change the world around us with acts of kindness.  However, we have an important decision to make.  Will we try to change this world for the better, or will we change it for the worse?

       Lord, help me to find many ways in my day to show kindness to all those around me and when I am not very observant or am too inwardly focused, shake me out of it and point out the people I can bless.




Some scriptures:
Gal. 5:22- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Pr. 19:22- What is desired in a man is kindness,  KJV
Col. 3:12- Since you have been chosen by God who has given you this new kind of life, and because of his deep love and concern for you, your should practice tenderhearted mercy and kindness to others…   TLB