and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, October 03, 2014

The Little Green Man

       When I was young I had quite the imagination.  Still, when the phone would ring and I was told it was for me I would get nervous because it could be that creepy little voice of nightmares, the evil Little Green Man.  It was real and not my imagination.  And the voice would start out calling me by name and then telling me some horrible thing he would do.  I don’t remember much more, but I’m sure it scared me at the time, especially from ever going down any Texas Rd. where he lived just in case it was his!

       Meanwhile, on the telephone downstairs (back in the days when you could call your own house), one of my sisters was placing that call to me while they both laughed at my gullibility.  To me, it really was the voice of the Little Green Man.  I was sure of it.  Obviously I was wrong.  It wasn’t the voice of that non-existent evil troll, but my sister’s voice.

       Though God could choose to speak audibly to us His followers, He often speaks through His Spirit in us.  There are three main voices we hear: our mind, the enemy, and God.  Of course, He often speaks through His Word, but He said we could hear His voice. 

But you do not believe for you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice*, and I know them, and they follow Me. Jh. 10:26,27
Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today if you will hear His voice*, Hb. 3:7
the disciples heard God’s voice audibly. 2Pt. 1:17,18
(*voice- G5456- phone- sound, tone, voice/ uttered sounds, speech)

       So how do we know whose voice we are hearing?  Usually our mind will cater to our flesh and desires, the enemy will tear us down or lift us in pride, and God will always speak truth, urging us to holiness and humility.  One of the ways we get to know His voice is to spend as much time with Him as possible -draw near Him (Jm. 4:8), seek Him with all your heart (Jr. 29:13; Dt. 4:29)- not just talking but LISTENING.  We must also use discernment. “But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.(Hb. 5:14)The simple believes every word, but the wise man watches his step.(Pr. 14:15)

Test all that we hear against the Word of God.

-Is it Scriptural, good Christian principles, and agrees with God’s names, character and nature?
‘God’ tells me to leave my husband. Nope. Not God. Against the above.
‘God’ tells me to make peace with someone who spoke lies about me to others. Pray. Probably God. Agrees with the above.
‘God’ tells me to say something mean to my enemy.  Nope. Not God. Against the above.
‘God’ tells me to love the person who just hurt me and ask for forgiveness for my part in it.  Pray. Probably God. Agrees with the above.

For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hb. 4:12
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but try the spirits to see if they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1Jh. 4:1
God, who cannot lie… Titus 1:2 (also Nm. 23:19)
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. Jm. 1:22


       We must discern the voices we hear or the thoughts we have, to know if they are our own, the enemy or of God.  
The following list from 2Cr. 11:3,4 also helps because it encompasses basically all things not of God.  I list examples to help in understanding…



We must watch that our thoughts are not deceived and corrupted by:
     another Jesus- an unforgiving, selfish, vengeful, mean, lazy, uncaring in actions, Jesus was 
                          none of these.
     another spirit- confusion, anger, bitter, covetousness, pride, condemning, money or status 
                         loving
     another gospel- gospel of: self improvement, prosperity, name it claim it, etc

Don’t be afraid to hear God’s voice, just use wisdom and know God doesn’t lie so He would never go against who He is or His Word.