and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Which Bible Do I Read?

       A friend asked me this the other day.  Stop here if you are a King James only because you probably won’t like what is below, but it is my opinion and I am entitled to it as are you yours.  First off, I very much differentiate that answer based on what you are doing with the Bible.  There are three things we should be doing with the physical Bible: reading, studying and memorizing.  We should also be meditating on the Word, but that can be done in any version at any time.

       Bible translation information: the original writings were written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.  People who know how to translate these languages put them into other understandable languages for us, English being my choice.  There are three ways to translate the original languages: word for word, thought for thought, and paraphrased*.

       Bible reading is also called devotions by some.  I usually sit where it is quiet, with no distractions, pray the Lord would open my eyes, and ask the Holy Spirit to help me understand what I am reading.  My preferred Bible version this decade is TLB or the Living Bible, a paraphrase.  It is very easy to read and it helps me understand the true meanings behind what was spoken/ written.  Often I will sit with my laptop open to a Bible program which can give me original translation if there is anything I question, but that isn’t always necessary.
For basic reading you should find the Bible you most easily understand.

       Also, for reading I use a Bible chart where I can cross off what I’ve read so that I don’t miss any sections (these can be found online- there are many types) as all the Word is good for me and I don’t want to miss any of it.  Prayer and thanksgiving often precede and follow reading and meditating (see below) is often done here.

All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfected, thoroughly furnished to every good work. 2Tm. 3:16,17
desire the sincere milk of the Word, as newborn babes, so that you may grow by it; 1Pt. 2:2

My usual study space...
       Bible study is more intense than reading and should also be done when able.  I sometimes pick a topic and look up all the Scriptures in a concordance about it, and write out all the ones that apply.  Then I try to put them all together and decide what the Bible really wants me to know and do about it.  Far easier is using a Bible study book available in many topics (make sure they use lots of Scriptures) or using an online study which often lists verses to look up.  Sometimes these can miss important verses so you should still look up other possible verses.

       Then there are deeper studies that make you look up tons of relating Scriptures and ask you questions about them.  Those are my favourites.  For studying I use a word for word but also refer to other versions for comparison or better understanding.  I also refer to the original languages using a Bible software program.
Try to keep as close to the original as you can for studying, but which you can usually understand.  Also try to have a concordance and/ or Bible software available.

Study earnestly to present yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. 2Tm. 2:15
For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hb. 4:12

       Bible memorizing should be done once a week or month or whenever we can.  Getting these words deep in our minds allows us to be able to use them when needed in situations that arise.  Any version will work for this.
Use the one you’ve used for years or change them up to whichever you like best.  God’s not going to chastise us for using ‘the wrong version’.


I have hidden Your Word in my heart, so that I might not sin against You. Ps. 119:11
Your Words were found, and I ate them; and Your Word was to me the joy and gladness of my heart... Jr. 15:16

       Meditating on the Word is when we do any of the above and go into deeper thinking (at any time) about what we read, studied, or memorized.  Think about: the words, what they mean about God, about us, about mankind, what should be done about them, how this should change us, where our hearts are… all in context of the words read.  It is not repeating one or more words over and over, emptying our minds or other such nonsense.  We should fill our minds with the Word!  

in His Law he meditates day and night. Ps. 1:2
This book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it by day and by night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it... Js. 1:8


*
word for word- tries to keep the exact words of original text.  KJV  NASB  ESV  Amp
                      harder to read but more precise. 
thought for thought- complete meaning of the phrases of original text.  NIV  NLT  NJB
                               easier to read with updated writing and style yet still precise.
                               (two versions that try to mix word and thought:  HCSV  RSV)
paraphrased- translates ideas without constraints of original text.  TLB  TM
                     easiest to read/ understand but least precise.