and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

How Much Do I Love the Lord?


       The Bible says if we love him we will obey him (John ) and if we love Him we will love our brothers. (1John )  We are supposed to “love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.” (Luke 10:27)
       heart = thoughts, feelings
       soul = breath, spirit
       strength = force, ability, might
       mind = deep thought in its exercise = imagination, mind,
           understanding

       When I think of questions like the post title, the answers always seem to be comparative to other things or in this case to other people.  It is logical to assume I love Him more than some and less than others.  That is an unsatisfactory answer as it seems unhelpful.  You and I are so used to comparing ourselves to others and yet it is all for naught.

       Here are my thoughts: a blind person walking around a city block has accomplished more than a sighted person, an intellectually challenged person achieving a 60% on a math test is likely better than a genius who scores 97%, and a person who was abused all their life… trusting and loving God just might mean more than someone who has never been hurt.  In other words, we should only compare ourselves to ourselves.  Perhaps a better question is: do I love God with all of my being and all of my ability?  In answer to that I can only say…

Not enough… yet!

Hopefully tomorrow I can do better
      And improve every day thereafter!


Precious Lord, please help me to love You more- completely and enthusiastically
And help me to express that love in the way You desire me to.