and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Take a Chance

       Joanne, an older lady from Jersey, walked out on the stage of the new show “the Voice” hoping to live a dream and become the new voice of America.  Her family waited in the back room watching a TV screen eager for her to succeed.  Less than five minutes later with no judges wanting to work with her, she left the stage with her dream unfulfilled.  Was it an epic failure?

       Sometimes when we take a chance it doesn’t end as good as we want it to, but that doesn’t make it a complete failure.  For Joanne, her children learned that their Mom is strong, bold, and it’s never too late to try living your dream; that’s a success of a different kind.  Watching her, I remembered that I am not a risk taker because I don’t think I would have even tried.  Then again, I don’t really like being in the limelight and my voice is far from being considered talented.

       A few years ago I realized that my penchant for staying ‘safe’ was holding me back from being the person God had made me to be, and I decided to take one step after another to change that.  This blog is a part of that change- allowing others to see inside of me and know what I’m thinking at times is especially risky for a private person like me.  At the same time it’s exciting to think that I could help someone think about God more or have a better relationship with Him.  Little by little, I am improving, but I still have a long way to go.

       But God, in His mercy and grace never gives up on me.  Though I have failed Him time and time again, He has never failed me; even in those times I was sure He had.  (Eventually, I always realized He knew best.)  A real struggle for me lately is remembering that genuine love tells the truth even though it can hurt because I really hate to hurt others.  This has kept me from speaking God’s words in situations He wanted me to speak up; but since He isn’t giving up on me, I’m going to trust Him to keep changing me*.  And I’ll let His strength show up in my weakness.**  He always does a better job then I do anyway especially when I try to do it on my own.

       Thanks Lord, for never giving up on me no matter how many times I’ve failed to do or say the things I should.  Thank You for Your mercy and grace in my life.  Please help me to be bolder for You and to walk out there with You more often and take a chance.




*Phil. 1:6- being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;  NKJV
**2 Cor. 12:10- That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  NIV